Outage 9/17/23

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I believe this is the first outage over 15 minutes that we've had in 2 years, maybe more.
Sadly we ran out of a couple server resources. :(.
Nothing money can't fix. LOL
We should be good to go. And even faster. I had to buy more storage, and to get more storage I had to add two more CPU's. It's a package deal. Such is life.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
:sad:I have no idea of what you are talking about. Maybe you can explain it in layman terms. So I know what is wrong and what you need to do to fix it. It may be beneficial to others also to help to understand what you have to do to keep this great forum alive .Thanks.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I lease a server from an Internet Service Provider aka ISP. We were over 90% full on our disk space. That caused server to run out of disk swap space. This is needed for the operating system to function. And this cascaded into more issues. With other configuration files which keep our HTTP access available to the world.
In laymans terms The server had no space to work with so it stopped working.
I had to pay the ISP for more space and now we are good to go for a long long while. No worries.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I lease a server from an Internet Service Provider aka ISP. We were over 90% full on our disk space. That caused server to run out of disk swap space. This is needed for the operating system to function. And this cascaded into more issues. With other configuration files which keep our HTTP access available to the world.
In laymans terms The server had no space to work with so it stopped working.
I had to pay the ISP for more space and now we are good to go for a long long while. No worries.
Thanks

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I would have just dumped the old and started fresh...
???? That would be a chit load of work. Wipe the server disk clean, then load new operating system, load db software, then build databases, then load forum software, set up networking, etc etc etc ..... then we'd have a completely empty forum with no members. Everyone would have to sign up all over again. Why would you want to do that? Makes no sense to me.

Last edited: