Steering Issue

ED216

I've got a 2006 216 Sunesta. On my last couple of outings I've noticed that the steering is off center and I need to keep the wheel a half turn to the port side in order to stay straight. The boats steers fine otherwise. I've had the boat for three seasons and this is a recent issue. I'm going to investigate it this weekend but thought I'd check here to see if anyone had a suggestion on what might be the issue.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
If you let go of the wheel, what does she do? And what outdrive do you have?

ED216

Thanks for the reply. It's a penta 5.0 GXI-F with an SX-M1 drive. If I let go of the wheel it tends to veer starboard a bit, but not drastically.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
At the back of the cavitation plate on the bottom is a tab that you should be able to change the direction that it is pointing. ( On my mercruiser you can) It helps to divert the prop wash. If you can try to point it in the other direction and see if that helps. Also do you have any play in your steering response? They all have some. But not a quarter of a turn, I don't know if you have any adjustment on your steering cable, I do not on mine. Hope this helps some, keep us posted.

ED216

Thanks. I'll try to locate the tab you're referring to. There is a little bit of play in the steering. Not much, maybe an inch or two.