Oil change

Getting to my engine oil drain plug in my 215ss seems impossible. I pumped all the oil
Out of the dipstick till nothing was left. I dumped a gallon of oil in but seems overfull after I ran it Is it possible that you can’t get all the oil out pumping out of the dipstick tube ?? My others boat you could get to the drain easily.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I've had success pumping out via the dipstick tube.
Did you take note of how much you pumped out? My pump has lines so you can see how much came out, which gives you a good idea if you got it all or not. Sometimes you have to wiggle the line around or force it down further ...or you forced it down to far and it looped up and left some oil. I'm sure you can get most of the oil out that way but you might have to play around a bit to get it. all.

I might have to mess with it more next time. The oils really clean now so I may just suck the top of it out to get the level back down.

SST

My engine holds 5 quarts. But I never seem to pump out more than 4. Reaching for the drain plug is too difficult with a hot engine.

J Kyle

Post i saw one time recommended that when pumping vs draining to always put in less than what capacity is and then add until full. To Doc's point above, I marked the tube with a piece of tape to make sure I always get to the bottom every time.

willbaker13

I have similar experience as SST. Never pump out the full amount. I always put back in the same amount that was taken out so not to accidentally overfill.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Before I installed the remote filter, I would get the engine up to operating temp and add my winter antifreeze, then grab an empty gal antifreeze jug and fill it, pretty much to the top.
Now with the remote it overflows it, because of the extra oil in the lines to the remote. I don't believe that there is enough oil left in the pan to worry about. And I am sure that the people who designed the oil extraction tube took all of that into consideration.
How your engine sets to level, may or may not have any effect on how much oil you get out thru the tube.

Iggy

IF you can reach the drain plug!?!? Why not attach a drain hose with a plug at the end? Than you could pull it out though the boat's drain plug and its now hanging out side the boat. No pump needed and any mess is outside.

Just a thought?

J Kyle

IF you can reach the drain plug!?!? Why not attach a drain hose with a plug at the end? Than you could pull it out though the boat's drain plug and its now hanging out side the boat. No pump needed and any mess is outside.

Just a thought?
I had that setup on first Chap I owned and loved it. That is definitely the route to go.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
SST and I can't do that our engines are down in a hole.
IMG_0009.JPG

Just a thought?
I can’t even get close enough to touch the drain plug. I’ve got long arms but can’t reach it.