Need a new winch

SST

At the end of last year, I noticed that the handle on the winch is no longer a solid fit on the shaft. The handle originally was an oval fit to the shaft. The shaft is fine but the handle is no long oval. There is just a little bit of grip left.

The winch that is on the trailer is an old Shelby 5409 at 2100lbs. My first question is, what is the 2100lbs mean. My boat is 5000lbs on bunks. But when retrieving the boat, I float it up to the pedestal, crank the winch tight and then drive out of the water and the boat settles on the bunks. I looked at West Marine and they have various winches but at different weights, none at 2100lbs. They have 1500, 1800 and 2600. How does this effect which one I should get?

Get a handle replacement?

Nest question is, is the bolt placement on the winch likely to match the existing holes on the pedestal? Are these bolt locations standard on most winches?

I did look over the list on ebay and there are several 5409 2100lbs winches for sale but I'm reluctant to purchase used vs new.

Last edited:

Iggy

You are not picking the boat up. You are pulling it over the rollers or bucks. So that force is a lot less. As long as the new winch is rated over 2100LBS you are fine.

The holes could match, or some holes may and drill one or two more holes.

SST

Thru trial and error I initially bought an 1800lb winch. The design is exactly like what’s on the trailer. But, when I got home and started to mount the winch, it became immediately apparent that this won’t work. The new 1800lb winch is smaller. Same bolt pattern but the dimensions are different. Holes on the pedestal didn’t match the holes on the winch. So I took it back. There was no 2100lb winch so I bought the 2400lb winch. It’s a bit oversized compared to the 2100lb winch but it matches all the holes. So I’ll stick with that.