Installing Simrad NSX/SmartCraft and transducer; 2004 Sunesta 252

LAKETIME

Hello, all,

I think I have this mostly figured out, but I'd like some suggestions on the installation of the transducer (for the sonar).
Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Dan

LAKETIME

Just following up on this install...
Does anyone have any suggestions for positioning of the transducer on the transom?

I want to install the Simrad NSX 9" on the console, but getting a good base for the unit looks challenging! This looks like it will be a real one-off kind of installation. Has anyone mounted anything like this before? I might end up going to a custom shop...

dflaherty10912

Sunesta 264 with NSS Evo3 9"

IMG_1765.jpg

dflaherty10912

That looks great! Is that custom? What year is your 264?
I did the install. The year is 2016. The Simrad is on the smartcraft network coupled with Mercury vessel view, Mercury auto trim, Lenco auto glide and a xSonic SS75M Thru-Hull Medium CHIRP Transducer. I also installed bow cameras that are linked to the Evo3.

LAKETIME

Sorry, I found out that Mercury and Lenco products are related to trim control. I'm trying to figure out a new helm console configuration. My unit is an NSX 9". It looks like I'm trying to fit a square peg in a round hole!!! :cautious:
It looks like you're pretty skilled at fabrications! (y)(y)

LAKETIME

This is what my console looks like. I wish I could find a fabricator that could remove the instrument panel and insert a flat panel to maybe flush-mount the NSX, and possibly some other gauges, USB ports, devices, etc.

1721306316463.png

dflaherty10912

That is a nice looking dash. There are custom dash stores that could help you with this, albeit it could get pricey. Get several opinions/options on how they would proceed with the integration. This could give you some ideas. My goal was to have a factory look. I did weeks of research, for placement, needed space behind the Evo, vertical and horizontal support and wiring. I bought a mini air saw with a fine tooth blade and a dremel tool. This is not an easy job and the outcome may not be the vision of what you initially wanted. My thoughts are the least intrusion the better.

LAKETIME

I'm on the hunt for a fabricator. This will take place during the offseason, of course. ;) I appreciate your insights! (y)(y)

Iggy

If it was me........ I would mount it in front of the compass. And not spend the extra money on someone re-doing the helm. You may want a bigger boat, I did!

On my last boat I went with a two 7" screens. A little bigger boat, a Sig 290. But I get it have a bigger screen.

LAKETIME

If it was me........ I would mount it in front of the compass. And not spend the extra money on someone re-doing the helm. You may want a bigger boat, I did!

On my last boat I went with a two 7" screens. A little bigger boat, a Sig 290. But I get it have a bigger screen.
That sounds like an interesting, simple approach, but I'll need to get some measurements to see how it might fit; I'm inclined to think it might be too tall. The unit comes with a mount that is flat on the bottom, which would rest upon the slight curvature of the shelf where the compass sits. Some sort of shims would be needed. I should be able to access this area from the bulkhead inside the head, just forward of the helm.

I'm thinking that for now, during the boating season, I would look for a way to attach the unit's bracket to a rectangular piece of thick PVC or acrylic, attached to PVC cylinders that are inserted/fastened into the cup holders. All cabling could be routed through one of those cylinders to the NMEA2000 backbone below and in the bulkhead. Therefore, minimal alterations for now.

BTW, multiple screens sound nice! Simrad also has an ultra-wide unit that looks awesome. :cool:

ED216

This is what my console looks like. I wish I could find a fabricator that could remove the instrument panel and insert a flat panel to maybe flush-mount the NSX, and possibly some other gauges, USB ports, devices, etc.
I came across this youtube video the other day. It's a guy retrofitting his dash. Not exactly what you're trying to do, but he mentions a few custom fabricators that might be able do what you need. It's a long video but I found it pretty useful.

Iggy

I came across this youtube video the other day. It's a guy retrofitting his dash. Not exactly what you're trying to do, but he mentions a few custom fabricators that might be able do what you need. It's a long video but I found it pretty useful.

This is what starboard is good for. Cut it, use a router to to trim the outer edges and drill holes as needed.