Hole in port side of 2024 chaparral 2024 SSI OB

chapg

Apologies if this is a repeat thread, not sure what happened to my original post. Anyway was just wondering if someone knew the purpose of this hole on the port side. I haven't traced it through yet (not sure if I can) as I just got the boat. There's a hole on the starboard side but I believe that's for the bilge pump. This one seems much closer to the water line. Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Chap_Port_Side.jpeg

SST

I have an ice chest on my port side with a drain line that leads to a thru hull drain hole. Although it his well above the waterline and further forward than yours.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
It is an exit for something, my guess is the bilge pump, mine and Dan's are close to the water line.

SST

My bilge is fairly high and aft. So no back flow unless I’m already under water. 💦 😁
IMG_1470.jpeg

chapg

Thanks. Agreed seems like an exit. I do have a cooler (which is the ski and fish model I think is a live well) with a drain. I suppose it's the exit for that. I had thought originally would have been routed to the bilge but I guess they wanted it to have it's own exit.

J Kyle

Deck drain, I have one on both sides of my 2007 Sunesta 254. Also has a shutoff valve as well.

Bilge should be higher close to rub rail.

1720461264965.png

Iggy

You could have poured water into the drain and see where it was coming out. A few drops of food coloring can help too. Just trying to be helpful...

SST

Interesting. My coooler/ice chest drain hole is approximately 12 inches above the water line. I’m wondering if yours is deeper, dimension wise, than mine is. One advantage with yours is that it won’t leave a “drain stain” on the gelcoat.

But having that drain hole at the water line, doesn’t that potentially cause a “leak” if you’re taking on water somewhere else? Is there a valve? Just curious.

J Kyle

Interesting. My coooler/ice chest drain hole is approximately 12 inches above the water line. I’m wondering if yours is deeper, dimension wise, than mine is. One advantage with yours is that it won’t leave a “drain stain” on the gelcoat.

But having that drain hole at the water line, doesn’t that potentially cause a “leak” if you’re taking on water somewhere else? Is there a valve? Just curious.
My sunesta has a pedestal cooler under the port side swivel chair. It's an odd place for a built in for sure and drain is close to water line. It does have a valve though. It was almost like "hey there is some extra space there let's put a cooler in" lol

Reactions: Doc