Did you know ....

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Did you know that the Snail Road, also known as Paso de los Libertadores, is one of the most emblematic and challenging routes in South America. This road connects Chile with Argentina, passing through the majestic Andes Range.

Top features:

1. **Location**: The road is located in the Valparaiso Region, Chile, and runs through to the province of Mendoza in Argentina.

2. **Route**: The route rises from the valley of the Aconcagua River in Chile to the Cristo Redentor tunnel, located at a height of approximately 3,200 meters above sea level.

3. **Design**: It's known for its closed, steep, snail-like curves, from which its name derives. The road has numerous zig-zag curves that are a challenge for both drivers and vehicles.

4. **Weather Conditions**: During winter, the road can be extremely hazardous due to snowfall and severe weather conditions, which often leads to temporary closures.

5. **Importance**: It is a crucial route for trade and tourism between Chile and Argentina, and is often used by trucks and tourists who wish to cross the mountain range.

6. **Tourist Attractions**: Along the route, you can observe breathtaking landscapes of the mountain range, as well as points of interest such as the Inca Lagoon and Portillo Ski Resort.

The Snails Road is a spectacular and challenging route that offers a unique driving experience through one of the most breathtaking landscapes of the Andes. Its intricate design and location in a region with extreme weather conditions make it one of the most famous and photographed routes in South America.

didyouknow192.jpg

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Can you imagine the a guy standing there and saying I think I will put a road on this wall.
Or to be politically correct it could have been a gal.:)

Reactions: Doc

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
It sure did, now we carry the mini version in our pocket. And people can't take their eyes off of it. It seems no one knows how to carry on a conversation, because they are looking down at that little bube tube. In years to come they will wonder why they have trouble trying to lift their heads to see where they are going.

SST

I remember as a young teenage going through Space Mountain in Disney World [1970's]. As you're walking through the entry to the ride, you'd pass by futuristic displays. One display I remember was the family sitting in front of the tv with the remote clicking away. There were several others but I don't remember them. I often wonder what's in those same display areas today. I'll likely not find out cuz it's too expensive. Anybody been there lately?

As for the smart phone....out of all the things a smart phone can do, I probably only use 5% of its capability. But......that 5% enhances my life in such a way, that my life would really suck without it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
When sperm whales need a nap, they take a deep breath, dive down about 45 feet and arrange themselves into perfectly-level, vertical patterns. They sleep sound and still for up to two hours at a time between breaths, in pods of 5 or 6 whales, presumably for protection. No one knew whales slept vertically until a 2008 study documented the behavior. And no one captured really good photography of it in the wild until 2017.

didyouknow191.jpg