Check engine light?

Ruzz247

Is there a device that i can plug into my 2023 VP 350 to check codes (similar to OBDII reader for cars) I was cruising at about 20 mph through an area with a lot of weeds on the Sacramento delta when I suddenly lost power, audible alarm started beeping, and check engine light on throttle control came on. Engine temp and oil pressure were fine. I shut down the engine. I raised the outdrive and there were no weeds tangled. Engine would not restart and light stayed on. I sat for about 5 minutes checking various things. The light eventualy went out and the engine started. I am guessing that I struck a large weed which tripped the Impact Protection (VP owners manual does not say what exactly this feature does) then while I was inspecting the outdrive I inadvertantly reset it by raising and lowering? Or maybe the outdrive cooling got clogged, overheated, and shut down. Any thoughts? Anyone know of an "OBD II - like" tool which I could use to read codes? Thanks!

SST

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question but it does remind me of a second incident of hitting weeds [first incident cracked the exhaust manifolds]. I was cruising up the Niagara River and as I scanned my instruments, I saw my temp gauge climbing rapidly. I'm flipping out and saying, "Oh no not again!" I immediately shut down the engine, raised the outdrive, cleared the huge glop of weeds, lowered the drive and restarted [Thankful I don't have a computer that won't let me restart]. The temp gauge immediately began to drop....and so did my stress. Good luck

Reactions: Doc

Iggy

Boats with out drives do not have sea strainers to block anything. My guess could be that some weeds got sucked in. Than for a moment the raw water pump lost suction and the temp went up. Keep in mind you need less water at lower RPMs. But its just a guess.