Alternator not charging on a 2006 265ssi

2004lebanshee

Charging issue on 2006 265ssi 496mag.

So I just started up my boat from winter hibernation. The voltage gauge was reading low. I have 3 batteries on 2 banks that were all on removed and on tenders all winter.

Not trusting the voltage gauge I put my hand held gauge on the battery posts while running and it's reading 12.45ish so the batteries are not getting a charge.

I then put one negative probe on the battery and positive probe on the alternator pos post and it reads 13.3v. So I believe the alternator is working.

Ran out of time and had to head to work. Does anyone know of anything I should check to diagnosis my charging issue? I'm a assuming there is fuses on a 265 I just have no clue where.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I think the voltage gauge only is reading for whichever battery you have picked to start the engine. Try switching to another battery and see if the voltage gauge reads different. Otherwise, for me, 3 batteries can get confusing. I had three when I bought my 288 Sunsation with a 496 mag. It was wired weird. 2 were just for stereo. I switched back to two batteries, either for starting the engine and running everything in including the stereo.

2004lebanshee

I have 2 banks. One bank has 2 deep cells in parallel. I only used the dash gauge for the initial reading. I then got out 2 different multimeters to confirm at the battery that they were not receiving a charger. I tried all battery settings and all batteries.

Reactions: Doc

Iggy

Check your cables for any signs of corrosion. There now about 18 years old.

On my past boat I had almost the same problem on my sig 290. The port engine would not start. But everything looked good! I had a cable that when I cut into it was burnt. I replaced it with a larger gauge cable. In other words, the cable could look good but still be bad.

I did but a mid priced hydraulic cable crimper. Making up your own battery cables save time and money. Plus cutting to the size you want, cutting down the resistance in the cable.