Trailer With Surge Drum Brakes

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I cannot speak for those that have surge disc brakes, because I have never pulled one, but for those that have not experienced this with properly adjusted drum brakes, it will help you stop quicker with less strain on your tow vehicle's brakes. When coming to a stop applying the needed pressure, if you take your foot off the brake for a split second and reapply the same pressure you will feel the brake shoes grab harder, and you will feel the trailer pulling back on your tow vehicle. When trailering I look ahead and anticipate having to stop, so I do a lot coasting. When I do this, I stop easier with less pressure on my brake pedal then I do without my 6,000+ pound package on the back. May be helpful to some, may not to others, just thought I would share.

Would really like to hear from someone that has surge disc brakes, I think the way that the drum brakes are designed is what makes it work the way that it dose.

Last edited:

dgiles

I have surge disk brakes. They work the same as drum. If you have trailer brakes, of course they should be working and adjusted properly and they are designed to slow the trailer more and more as more pressure is applied to the tongue.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I have surge disk brakes. They work the same as drum. If you have trailer brakes, of course they should be working and adjusted properly and they are designed to slow the trailer more and more as more pressure is applied to the tongue.
Thanks for the reply.
My question is, does your trailer do this, or do you have to push harder for it to stop faster?
When coming to a stop applying the needed pressure, if you take your foot off the brake for a split second and reapply the same pressure you will feel the brake shoes grab harder, and you will feel the trailer pulling back on your tow vehicle.

Phillbo

Every boat I have owned has had surge drum brakes... Easy , simple system.
if you take your foot off the brake for a split second and reapply the same pressure you will feel the brake shoes grab harder, and you will feel the trailer pulling back on your tow vehicle.
I grew up doing that. We call it preloading the plunger..

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Every boat I have owned has had surge drum brakes... Easy , simple system.

I grew up doing that. We call it preloading the plunger..
Thanks, did not know it had a name, I guess you are never too old to learn something new. I never had anything with surge brakes until I got this unit. And with trial and error, I discovered it. So you cannot do this with disc brakes? Are disc brakes more efficient or just less maintenance?

dgiles

Thanks for the reply.
My question is, does your trailer do this, or do you have to push harder for it to stop faster?
When coming to a stop applying the needed pressure, if you take your foot off the brake for a split second and reapply the same pressure you will feel the brake shoes grab harder, and you will feel the trailer pulling back on your tow vehicle.
Surge brakes are not smart, they do not know anything about the tow vehicle nor are they connected. All they do is the harder the tongue is pushed, the harder the trailer brakes. Very simple. So, you press the brakes on the tow vehicle harder, the boat will roll harder into the back of the truck and more pressure is applied to the tongue and the boat slows down more until the pressure is released.

Just do a google if you need to understand more.

SST

I have surge brakes and I've never done that before. I just apply the brake as needed and I can feel the trailer brakes engage moments later depending on how hard I step on the brake. I've been anywhere from normal braking to extreme panic braking and they do the job. Keeps the boat behind the truck.

What was really annoying was when I had to back into the driveway. To release the brakes, I had to get out of the truck and lock them out at the hitch. Then back up. Some years ago, the hitch was damaged and a new one was installed. There is no lock out switch on it. Just back it up without the brakes engaging. So much nicer.

dgiles

I have surge brakes and I've never done that before. I just apply the brake as needed and I can feel the trailer brakes engage moments later depending on how hard I step on the brake. I've been anywhere from normal braking to extreme panic braking and they do the job. Keeps the boat behind the truck.

What was really annoying was when I had to back into the driveway. To release the brakes, I had to get out of the truck and lock them out at the hitch. Then back up. Some years ago, the hitch was damaged and a new one was installed. There is no lock out switch on it. Just back it up without the brakes engaging. So much nicer.
I think all surge brakes have a manual lockout at the hitch, but some also have an electronic valve that does it for you when you you hit reverse. MIne is like that. The reverse lights wire is simply wired to a bypass on the tongue to allow the oil to go through and not lock up the brakes. But they all need a manual one in case of a broken wire othewise you are screwed.

SST

I have a freebacking hitch. I've had it for at least 5 years. Originally, I'd have to get out of the truck and "flip the switch" and then back it in. Sometimes, the switch would pop and the brakes would engage. Man what a pain in the ass that is. Now, I just come to a stop and back it in. No lockout switch or electric wiring, no getting out of the truck and no surprises while I'm still half in the street.

SST

BTW. The MFR of my hitch is Titan. I checked it today when I put the cover on due to the impending rain.