I love fall boating!!!

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
The logbook is in the boat which is in a temporary storage area. I don't know how many times I've actually taken the boat out for a ride. But with taking a ride on the Erie Canal a couple of times, puts a big chunk time on the clock for a single outing. I'll have to check this coming week. Pouring rain out at this point.
Ya, a little wet on this end of the lake too.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
I was able to check on the boat and the good book shows 21 times I took it out.
Great! sounds like you had a pretty full season.
Mine was 28.4 hrs 13 times. 4.5hrs was when we spent 3 days at a cottage on Harsens Island on The St. Clair River. This year I did quality over quantity. :) We had a lot of rain and bumpy water this year.

SST

Yeah, this summer wasn't the greatest. The Canandian forest fire smoke restricted my use many times. The winds and waves were annoying this year. These conditions are what governed whether I felt like trailering down to the ramp and back. If my boat were in a slip, I probably would have doubled my usage.

There is a little area of unique protection during windy conditions. It is just inside the breakwall right next to the former Bethlehem Steel plant. So any howling winds from the south through northwest, this little spot will protect you. It is only 1 mile from the ramps. It takes longer to get the boat trailered and launched than it does to get to the steel plant. It just wasn't worth the hassle. But if the boat were slipped, it would be worth it.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
One of my go to places is the Detroit River if the lake is not good. It takes me 1hr to get to the ramp.

SST

The last day.

Wind is picking up as the next weather system approaches. So I’m “hiding” in my little cove next to Bethlehem Steel. The wind farm in the background.

Attachments

• IMG_1170.mov
    19.4 MB

SST

Well, it’s official. My boating season is officially over. I winterized the engine this morning and got the voltage gauge working again then buttoned up and delivered to storage. See you in 6 months.

This is the methodology to winterizing my boat. It looks crazy but it actually works well.
IMG_1172.jpeg

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Hey, as long as it works and gets the job done. Besides doing it yourself is cheaper, and you know that it is done right.
Me., I open and drain the 4 petcocks, which from what I have read leaves me about 4 gallon left in the engine. So then I put 4 gallons of 100F blue antifreeze in a 55gal drum that is cut in half length wise with a Rule circulating pump and a pair of muffs. I light her up to about 1100 RPMS. I run a 160 degree thermostat. I will run her till it reads 170, then I shut her down. Total cost antifreeze $50, I've had the pump and drum for as long as I have had my girl. (1992)
If you have a system that works for you, (other then paying for it) please let us know, it may help someone else to do theirs.
By the way, does anyone know what the marinas get to do it?

SST

I finally got around to posting my video to youtube. This is my second last run passing the Port Abino Lighthouse on Lake Erie. It was a nice day and it good to have the border open.

drewm3i

You guys are brave winterizing that way 😁

I always drain and the back fill manually, making sure I fish the drains and see the AF come out before putting the drains back in. Takes longer, but is bulletproof.

Phillbo

Bow Ride.jpg

Back on the lake but getting a bit chilly for the wife these days.... I guess I'll be taking the girlfriend for the rest of the season......
lexi bow.jpg

SST

I’m so glad I put the boat into storage last week. It is currently snowing enough that it is starting to stick. Nothing like lake effect snow.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
You guys are brave winterizing that way 😁

I always drain and the back fill manually, making sure I fish the drains and see the AF come out before putting the drains back in. Takes longer, but is bulletproof.

My engine is a 1985 350/260 Mercruiser. I read where it said something about draining the 4 petcocks and taking off hoses and pouring antifreeze down them do to the blockage from the thermostat. I researched different ways that other people and this one Merc marina did it, and designed and built mine. What is cool, is the 4 gal. of antifreeze just sits there with the Rule pump running. Then the thermostat opens up, and 3gal. of the antifreeze disappears. Now I run it to temp, shut her down, and I am left with 1gal. of steaming hot antifreeze in my drum.

Denny

Gold Site Supporter
Sunrise in Face Canyon... I own the lake.

View attachment 1921
And a beautiful lake it is! Boating at it's best! I have experienced that feeling, hence my girls name. (Serenity)
It's hard to beat spending the night on the hook, and you are the only one out there.
Sunset, all the traffic leaves and the water turns to glass, then the all the stars come out, and you realize just how small you are.

IMG_5434.JPG