Winterizing & Battery charging

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
After your boat is sitting over the long winter season do you do anything special with your batteries?
If you charge them ...how often do you charge.
If you charge .... Do you leave your batteries in your boat while you charge them?
If you just let them sit do you give them a charge before your first outing in the summer?
I've been letting them sit and giving them a good charge before their first use in the summer, but I'm not sure if that is the best way to maintain the batteries.

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Personally, I fully charge them during the winterizing process, remove them to a safe location and place on a board or bench. If they wont start the motor springtime there replaced. If I cant depend on them over winter ,I wont depend on them when I`m 40 miles out.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I always did like Fred (waybomb) said, but I had my houseboat winterized by some fellow boat club folks. They said they never remove or charge the batteries over the season. They thought you could actually cook the battery if you charged to much (plug it in and leave it). So I have 3 big ole batteries are sitting in the boat still hooked up. I'm trying that for the houseboat and will report at the beginning of the season how it works for me.

W'nt Crazy

My boat stays in the water year round, don't have shore power but do use a solar panel with trickle charger. there are lots of chargers that will maintain a battery,air temp and age, along with how the batterey is used has a lot to do with its recharging capacity, i had a link that broke all of this down i will look for it and post here.

Wannafish

floppy member
My boat stays in the water year round, don't have shore power but do use a solar panel with trickle charger. there are lots of chargers that will maintain a battery,air temp and age, along with how the batterey is used has a lot to do with its recharging capacity, i had a link that broke all of this down i will look for it and post here.

Wish the weather was conducive where I live to leave it in year round. If you would fill out your profile when you get a chance, I might have some idea where you are from. Until then...where are you from?:tiphat:

And on the suject of chargers; I want one that will maintain the air temp (keep it nice and warm here in the winter) and most importantly maintain my age! :yankchain:

W'nt Crazy

I am in East Tn, the low temp for tonight is forecast at 27 deg. YUK, exactly one month ago I was wearing shorts and t-shirt on a Beneteau 505 in the BVI. As for the battery charger i was refering to the ambeint air temp. surronding the battery and the age of the battery are points to consider in its life cycle. The type of the battery deep cycle or starting and the composition of the battery, no they are not all made the same. I have a thread to this some where, when i find it i will post ..

Wannafish

floppy member
As for the battery charger i was refering to the ambeint air temp. surronding the battery and the age of the battery are points to consider in its life cycle.

I thought that was probably wht you meant - but how can I have any fun if I take you seriously?:respect:

Tennessee. Wow! I hear that is some beautiful country for boating.
27 deg.? We could have doubled what we had in northern Michigan and not hit 27 deg. yesterday...but I know it's coming soon. I for one can't wait to get back out on the water.

"The type of the battery deep cycle or starting and the composition of the battery, no they are not all made the same. I have a thread to this some where, when i find it i will post .. "

Please do post it when you find it. More information is always welcome!

Think Spring!!