engine woes.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Some of you might remember my issue with both motors on our houseboat. The problem ended up being the distributors, and while we were at it we upgraded to electronic ignition. Along the way we had the carbs rebuilt, changed plugs and lots of other little things until we figured out it was the distributors.

All worked fine at the end of the past boating season. Now this year I've had an issue with my starboard motor. It appears to be fuel related but at this point I'm not sure of anything.

Symptom is when we begin our boating day the motor starts up just fine and runs to wherever we are going, whether that be 3 miles or 20 miles away. Once we get to our destination I turn it off. All is okay. Then when we go to head back I'll fire up both motors. Again, no problem. She starts right up. But once she runs for a few minutes she dies. She won't start again. If I bump up the gas she'll start for a second, rev and die. She won't start the rest of the day. Even if we have a two hour cruise home, she will not start after sitting even that long ( I try to start her up at that point just to assist with docking. It's hard to dock with one engine ...especially if it's windy.)

I've tried treating her as if she was flooded and put the throttle all the way forward. Nothing. Aggressive pumping of the throttle does nothing. She doesn't even fire. But inevitably, the next morning she fires right up and runs as if there is no issue.

Both motors usually start with the simple turn of the key. After sitting for a week or more I have to give em a little gas normally. But once started up for the weekend and ran daily just turn the key and they fire. Lately the starboard one (problem engine) does require me to pump more gas to her before she fires. Not sure if that is important to this issue, but figured it was worth mentioning.

For the first few weeks of the season, she only did this maybe once a weekend. Otherwise she ran fine and brought us home without issue. Now this past weekend she has this exact symptom every day. Same story. :confused:

Any ideas on things to try to diagnose this issue?

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
You upgraded to electronic ing. but did you upgrade to electronic coils?
reverse either and you can ruin the coil.
points w/ electronic coil
electronic w/ points coil

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I 'think' the coil was also upgraded but I'll double check with the mechanic that installed the setup.
Thanks for the info.

If the coils were upgraded already ....could this be a vapor lock issue?
If so, how do you diagnose a vapor lock and how to you track down where it is and what to do to fix it?

Bamby

What kind of choke is on your motor if it were closed and stuck shut and not opening it could cause a flooded enough condition to cause your problem. Have you pulled a spark plug and observed it's condition, soaked saturated with fuel, fouled from a choke condition. If plug looks OK try holding it against good ground source and have someone turn over motor and see if its sparking and doing what it's supposed to do. You really need to try a couple of diagnostic tests such as above to decide whether it's fuel or spark, or electrical related issue.

Last edited:

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Thanks Bamby. Good thoughts. I will check for spark for sure.

rlk

What kind of choke is on your motor if it were closed and stuck shut and not opening it could cause a flooded enough condition to cause your problem. Have you pulled a spark plug and observed it's condition, soaked saturated with fuel, fouled from a choke condition. If plug looks OK try holding it against good ground source and have someone turn over motor and see if its sparking and doing what it's supposed to do. You really need to try a couple of diagnostic tests such as above to decide whether it's fuel or spark, or electrical related issue.

I'm certainly not an expert at this, but I think Bamby is right in thinking it is a choke problem. Sounds to me like you have automatic chokes, and one is not working correctly when the engine is warm.

The next time before you start the engines for the first time, observe the position of each choke. Then when the starboard engine will not crank, observe the choke position of both again. I'll bet you find the choke on the starboard engine in a different position than the other.

Let us know what you find.

Bob

Bob

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Will do Bob. I'll be able to check it out on Friday.
The position of the choke will be indicated by the position of the throttle linkage, I think. If there is a better way to check that please let me know.

I don't think it's choke because I can not start it even two hours after it failed. It won't even fire at that point. However, the next morning it will start up.

Bamby

Doc when you do pull a plug or two check the appearance carefully for they can and often do help in the diagnostics of a motor problem. Here is a link to some pictures of plugs in various conditions, and brief description of problem that caused it. http://www.clubplug.net/plug_app.html

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Thanks Bamby. Good link. That will come in handy. I hope to get to the boat either thursday night or Friday morning.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Well, I can make the engine have the problem. So the mechanic that installed the distributors was down today. The choke was fine. The distribtor was fine. He had to run to napa to get a fuel pressure gauge. Sure enough, fuel pump. I'm glad to know what it si. He won't be able to order one until Monday and with luck he'll have it by Weds.
Even though I still have the problem ....and I'm on a 10 day boating vacation right now, at least I know what it is. In some weird way that makes me feel better.
More later if it turns out to be more than just the fuel pump.