Goint to the Chicago Boat Show this Sat.

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
Chicago Boat Show at McCormick Place.

I am not in the market for a new boat. I like to go see what's new. But I bet there are some killer deals on new boats.

Textron exited the floor plan finance business. Many Marinas had their floor plans with Textron and are now probably paying a lot more holding interest on their inventory, plus, boat sales are way down.

I'll report back on traffic at the show. And if I see anything especially cool.

Blondie

Please do!! I really want to go but it may take some convincing of my hubby; especially with the weather the way it is today :puke: We might wait until the weekend to go but I kind of wanted to beat the crowds...

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
We usually go on the first day, but I am so busy at work I just can't. So it will be a Saturday trip to ChiTown for us. Taking a neighbor couple with us. We'll probably go downtown and pig out afterwards.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Please take pics to share and I'll do the same at the Louisville Houseboat show that we are going to in February. :thumb:

How far are you from Chicago Fred?
Blondie is going to be having a baby real soon and we'll be up there to see our new granddaughter. We plan to be there a few days ....MAYBE there would be time for a hook up.

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
I'm about 1.5 hours away from McCormick Place if you go Dan Ryan, to the skyway, Indiana toll to the 80/94/6 exit, take 94 East. Exit 23 or 27 in Michigan puts you within 5 miles of Saint Joseph. Mapquest it. I'm on the island in the middle of the river, between St Joe and BH.

I'll try to remember to bring the camera.

Blondie

Saturday is here and I am STILL trying to convince my hubby to go to the show. I think I may be making some progress though :D

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
We just got back. In the past, the boat show was upstairs, and the rv show downstairs. This year, all on one level. The had The Miss Geico boat there. Quite a few trailer boats. Some larger boats. But definately a scaled back show.

But there are dealers with leftover 2006 and 2007 boats that are selling for half off or so.

A little disappointed in the show, but did get to see old freinds. And hooked up with Kevin from Springbrook. He's got a 80's 55 Chris Craft that's in receivership. The owner died, and his family couldn't keep up with it. Supposed to be real nice though, except that it has been sitting for two years. It is not on the market yet as the legalities have to be straightened out, but we're going to go check her out in a couple of weeks in Seneca. He told me what the price was, and I am very interested.

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
I'd settle for a 42 Carver aft with diesles. Before te Cougar, I had a 42 aft but with gas endines - it was pig and not enjoyable to drive. It is only 48'1", so you'd beat me if I found one.

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
A couple of pix of my previous 42 aft.

netboattalk2.jpg

netboattalk.jpg

aft bed with flash for post.jpg

Bridge from hard top.jpg

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
Boat shows adapt to economic conditions

CLEVELAND – In the face of today’s economic conditions, boat show organizers are under pressure to make the best possible decisions for the markets they serve.

In some cases, that translates into new marketing campaigns or show features. In others, it may mean cutting back, postponing or even cancelling a show.

Organizers of the 52nd annual Cleveland Boat & Waterfront Lifestyle Expo, which kicks off today and runs through Jan. 25 at the I-X Center, have decided to allow exhibitors to sell pre-owned boats for the first time in its history, according to an article in The News-Herald.

"Our dealers and exhibitors say the used boats are still moving, and they want to get people out on the water and get some new boaters. We figured a lot of new boaters get their start in the used market and why not open up a used boat section," Mike DiLorenzo, Lake Erie Marine Trades Association advertising/PR manager, told the newspaper. "Between 20 and 30 boats are signed up so far, so it should be a good amount. They're mostly powerboats in the 20-foot range, and they're all going to be offered at bargain prices."

The Atlantic City International Power Boat Show, Feb. 6-10, is among those shows produced by the National Marine Manufacturers Association featuring an Affordability Pavilion for the first time. These pavilions showcase boats visitors can finance for $250-$300 or less per month.

The Central Florida Marine Trade Association is responding to economic conditions by promoting its 42nd Annual Central Florida Boat Show, scheduled for Feb. 19-22 at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Fla., as “an historic opportunity to make great deals on boats and marine products.” It has hired agency Adstrategies Inc. to steer its marketing effort.

Conversely, the Marine Industries Association of Florida has canceled its winter Daytona Beach Boat Show, originally scheduled to take place this weekend, according to an article in The News-Journal. Not only did the group take into account economic conditions, but it had just hired a new boat show promoter, the newspaper reported, and the association felt January was too soon. MIAF “hopes” to hold a spring boat show, the results of which will determine whether it holds its annual Daytona fall boat show.

Similarly, the Northwest Marine Trade Association has suspended the 2009 Everett Boat Show, originally scheduled to take place the first weekend of March, due to lack of exhibitor participation, according to an article in The News Tribune. The association told the newspaper that is would consider a parking lot boat sale later this year.

The annual Kansas City Boat and Sportshow, which took place earlier this month, scaled back its footprint because of the tough economy, according to an article on KMBC-TV’s Web site.

Blondie

We just got back from the boatshow. We only spent a short amount of time there though so we don't have any pics worth sharing. We saw what we needed to see and bought a toddler lifejacket :thumb: Even lit the fire a little more under hubby to buy a boat of our own.
waybomb- very nice looking boat!!!

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Very nice. Is that a Carver or a Cris Craft? Beautiful boat.
What does aft after the name signify?

Glad you made it to the show Blondie. And you got baby girl a life jacket. :thumb: Good job. :D

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I"m glad to hear the Cleveland boat show will allow used boats. Sounds like a good idea. :thumb: I was there a few years ago. It was huge.

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
Very nice. Is that a Carver or a Cris Craft? Beautiful boat.
What does aft after the name signify?

Glad you made it to the show Blondie. And you got baby girl a life jacket. :thumb: Good job. :D

It is a Carver 4207. 48'1" OAL. The name, Blinkin Eyes?

Well, we have a Catalina Macaw. Very Jealous bird. My wife and I purposefully hug and say stuff in front of Frodo. When we do, he gets pizzed, paces back and forth, and his eyes start blinking. B

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
That's funny Fred. I can just see the bird pacing. :yum:

Most manufacturers give the boat a number that signifies the length of the boat. Why would Carver call that boat a 4207 when it is really 48'?

What makes it an 'aft'? The only thing I could think of was aft steering, but I thought all boats steer from the aft. :confused:

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
The hull is 42' long. Add the bow pulpit and the swim platform, and you get 48'1" OAL.

The aft cabin means there is a cabin in the back. Most boats have the engines at the back and use v-drives. An aft cabin has the engines near the middle and use a stright drive line. The entire back of the boat on the lower level is a stateroom.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Sounds, and looks very nice. I bet that would make a nice state room. No V to deal with like in the front. :thumb:

salmanq

It is very useful information to some extent. Please help me out regarding this topic going on. Can some one tell me in detail to what exact direction discussion is going on now?