Tough time of year to start a boat forum

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Don't ya think.
Hopefully in 45 days or so we can get into action getting our boats ready for the water. Now it just seems like hurry up and wait ...so there is not so much to talk about.

OhioTC18

I think for some people around my parts, they haven't begun to really think about the boat as long as the snow is on the ground. When it gets closer to prepping it for the season, they'll be more active searching on boat related "stuff" and they'll find us then.

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is actually the best time to ask because if you do wait for the prime season you may not get an answer because we`re too busy fixing boats .
someplace on this rock is a boating season and people do have questions to ask.
don`t forget the boaters "across the pond"

W'nt Crazy

Its allways boat time, even when its really cold, I still go down to the dock and spend a little time aboard. It snowed here yesterday, just a dusting, nothing compared to what you guys get, but hay 27 degrees is 27 degrees, we are warming up to the fifties this weekend and several of us are planning on meeting to do some work, and a early spring overnighter is in the works for next weekend.

force220

I got a jump on all you. Seats getting recovered, wet sanding boat, and got my new steering cable yesterday. Now to get it all complete.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I got a jump on all you. Seats getting recovered, wet sanding boat, and got my new steering cable yesterday. Now to get it all complete.

Good for you!!!! Glad to hear it. Are you doing before and after pictures?
Are you wet sanding by hand or what? What grit are you using?

What are you doing after wet sanding? Polishing? Or is there another step before that?

Good to see you post man!!!!!!!

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member

Force,
This is from a guy having the same type of problem and how he refinished it. Thought this might help.

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]I have the same problem with the red on my boat.talked with mt local vendor who does all my gel coat work for the store. it involves a lot of work, but the results are great. first strip all the wax off the boat, i use laquer thinner and a rag, wash to boat and let it dry.the next step is what takes the time. wet sand(color sand) the faded areas with 2000 grit paper, use lots of water and keep moving, dont spend too much time on one area. i do a 3 foot by 3 foot section and the dry it with a towel. dont freak out that it looks dull. just do the dull areas, after you are done and want to make it shine again use maguires #1 machine polish and machine buff the boat. second step is to use #3 polish, do entire boat with buffer. follow up with rv/ boat polish applied by hand. there after just maintain the luster with the rv/boat polish once a month. keep away from the wax it dulls and hazes the finish, i have been doing this with the arriva for the last year and have maintained a great shiny finish,BUT, it requires maintinance to keep it up. as for graphics on the out side of the boat the wet sanding will not remove them just use care when giong over them so as to not fray the edges of them. its labor intensive but the results are worth the time and effort spent.[/FONT]

force220

Thanks for the info but I had seen that one to. What my problem is to get all the penatrol off first. And that is a TUFF job. Its all sanding with 600 grit and then 800 grit then 1200 and so on.