I christen thee the "Cat Yak"....

AllenOK

Or possibly the "Sunfish Slayer".

I've had the thing out many times now. The first few times weren't so much for fishing as they were for me to figure out how manueverable it is, what kind of gear I need where, etc.

I swiped a milk crate from work (with manager's permission). I got a 3-tube rod holder setup and fastened that to the crate with zip ties. The crate is held in the rear tankwell by the installed bungees. With the two rod holders that are built in, this gives me 5 tubes. I typically carry a max of 3 rods and a net, so I have one tube extra. I've got a small Igloo cooler that goes into the tankwell behind the crate, again, held in by the bungees.

I built and installed an anchor trolley on the starboard side. This is just a line, strung on some small pulleys, with a ring on the line. There are heavy-duty bungees on each pulley, and those are held to the hull with padeyes. I have a drift sock that I attach to the ring on the anchor trolley. This way I can pull the drift sock up to the bow, or down to the stern end. This will allow me to drift with either my bow into the wind, or the stern into the wind. I typically drift with the bow into the wind. If'n I catch a monster, the drift sock gets pulled to the rear to act as a sea anchor to help slow down the resulting "sleigh ride".

I have an anchor, with line. I want to figure out how to make a Mason's Reel float (gonna have to use some pool noodle and probably some PVC). Wind the anchor line onto the Mason's Reel. To use, drop the anchor over. Let out some slack, as much as I need to get a good anchoring. Take a loop of the line, and feed it through the ring on the anchor trolley. Attach the loop somehow to the hull. I have a standard cleat, but I'm thinking a couple clam cleats, one that will secure line running forward, one securing line running aft. Once the line is secure, drop the reel overboard. It should float right there. If Godzilla bites, and I get towed, just pop the line out of the cleat and let the beast tow me. Use the Drift Sock to slow it down. The anchor line can't sink, as the mason's reel is floating. Come back to my original anchorage, and hook back to my line. At least, that's the theory. I haven't got that system working yet.

I want a brush hook / brush clamp, to clamp myself to brush on the bank, or to a stickup in the water, or another boat/kayak, etc. Haven't found anybody local that sells them. I was planning on using the ring on the trolley as my attachment.

I could conceivably get a stake-out stick, and stick that either through the trolley ring, or just clip a line from the SOS to the ring. I don't get out and wade much right now, so that's just an idea.

I bought an Eagle 300 fish finder. I have that installed on my center console. Transducer is Gooped to the hull on the inside, and shoots straight through.

I built a "yak cart". Think piano dolly and you're not far off. It's just some lawn-mower wheels, and PVC "legs" that collapse down for storage. I can open it up, and lay the front end of the 'yak on the cart. Strap it on (I know that doesn't sound right), and pick up the aft end and push the thing like a big wheelbarrow to where I want to go. This is only if I can't park right where I plan to launch (I do have a site like that, but haven't launched there yet). I have yet to actually use this, although I have it ready.

I made some pool noodle juglines. 9 will easily fit into my crate.

Fishing results so far: I've caught three catfish, all channels, all just barely "eater" size. One of jugline, two on rod-and-reel drift fishing. I might rename my yak the Sunfish Slayer, as I can really kill the sunnies. I've found a small lake, perfect for this size boat, that has some BIG shellcrackers and rock bass.

Sorry I don't have any pics. My camera's lense broke, and I haven't replaced it yet.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Good post Allen. Sounds like you have quite the setup. :thumb: :tiphat:

A tip for anchoring, that I didn't learn until a few years of boating under my belt. Your anchor rope should be a minimum of 3 times the depth of the water you want to anchor in. The Ohio River on average is 30' deep where I boat. I had a 50' anchor rope and didn't understand why I had a hard time setting the anchor. Once I went to a 100' rope it catches most every time. Makes things a lot easier. Harbor freight has 100' of line for less than 10 bucks. Works fine for my 25 ft boat.

How big were the channel cats you caught?

AllenOK

I've heard that about anchor lines. My current line is only 50'. I have the line tied to the bottom end of the anchor, run the line up to the top, and attach it with a zip tie. If it gets snagged, I can pull up hard enough to pop the zip tie, and the anchor will come up bottom-first.

I haven't anchored up any at all. I usually drift with the Drift Sock. The few times I wished I had anchor, well, I should have gone drift fishing for cats anyways.

The ones I've caught so far out of this little lake aren't big, maybe 2 lbs. Perfect eating size. Honestly, my cooler is really small. I'm not sure what I'd do with a really big catfish.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I know what you mean, some are monsters. My neices husband has caught two 40+ pounders so far this year. I asked him what he does with them, he said he sells them. Don't know to who, but he's a wheeler dealer so I have no doubt that is what he's doing.

AllenOK

That's illegal in this state. To sell a wild fish that you harvest out of State/Federal/City waters, you have to have a commercial license.

There's a few folks that severely over-harvest our fish stocks here. I've heard of a family that camps out at one lake for a couple weeks, with a trailer full of deep-freezers and generators to run them, and they catch about 2800 POUNDS of fish, feeze them, then take off. And I wonder why I can't catch any decent-sized fish??????

I just found out that a little nearby lake is only going to cost me $4 for a yearly permit to fish it. Good! No gas engines on that lake, electric motors or handpower only. I don't think it gets a lot of fishing pressure, so hopefully there's A LOT of fish in there.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised if that were illegal here to. I've no clue but know how this fellow operates.

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
Anchor rode should be 7 times depth, plus you should have 5-10 of chain at the anchor! Out in big swells, you want 10 times depth.

AllenOK

I went and bought a cheap extension cord holder (the kind you wind yourself by hand) to hold my anchor rope. I put a pool noodle on one side for floatation. I still haven't tried anchoring.

I made a pair of rod holders for both trolling and drifting. I just didn't feel like cutting a couple big holes in my 'yak, so I bought a 2' section of 1 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC, and a 60 degree elbow. I cut the 2' section in half, then glued both halves into the elbow joint. Once it cured, I attached it to my crate with zip ties. I have drifted with it, and it works out pretty good. I haven't tried trolling with it yet.