Props refinished?

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
For the go fast boats I know many have the props edged for more speed.

I'm not looking for more speed, but have a couple of really cruded up props on my houseboat. I understand I can have them refinished but is it worth it to have them refinished? Where do I find a place that does this kind of work, any recommendations?

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
I'd get them trued up. Probably save on fuel and reduce vibration. Shops using prop-scan give the best results. They are all over the place. Look for one in your area.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
A friend at my boat club said they have to send them away, but he didn't say where. I'll google for prop-scan and see what I get. Thanks.

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
given the current gas prices , maybe having them "tuned up" each spring wouldn`t hurt.By me it`s about 60.00 for clean, balance, check pitch/re-pitch.
Ever try to put a bent screw into a piece of wood?????? Same with water, just a different medium.

Trigger

I just had my prop refinished on my Ski Nautique but I have never remounted the prop before. Do I need to grease the drive shaft/prop or can I just put it back on?

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I think it's good to add a little grease, just so it will come off easy next time .... but this is a guess. My props are being done by a place in FL now. If Boat Doctor don't answer 1st I'll have an answer for you later tomorrow. We are putting in docks at the boat club and the club mechanic will be there. I'll ask him.

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
If thats the inboard version,it should be a tapered shaft anyway.Grease never hurt anything.

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
There`s alum based, copper based. Guess wrong and corrosion begins.
Grease is just Grease