Safety Inspections??

OhioTC18

Do any of you here have your boats inspected by the Coast Guard or your local Watercraft officials? I know here in Ohio the ODNR offers free Vessel Safety Checks at numerous locations throughout the state.
The Ohio DNR Division of Watercraft's website is here.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Funny you should ask Jerry. I'm in Ohio and boat on the Ohio river. The river is part of WV. WV has patrol boats / conservation officers that check your catch if your are fishing plus will do safety checks on any other boat that they choose. We've been randomly selected a few times. A good idea for sure. I makes you take note of whether your have your fire extinguisher, throwable life preserver and your SOS flag and other items might otherwise be forgotten.

OhioTC18

Funny you should ask Jerry. I'm in Ohio and boat on the Ohio river. The river is part of WV. WV has patrol boats / conservation officers that check your catch if your are fishing plus will do safety checks on any other boat that they choose. We've been randomly selected a few times. A good idea for sure. I makes you take note of whether your have your fire extinguisher, throwable life preserver and your SOS flag and other items might otherwise be forgotten.

Probably a good idea then to have the authorities do it before you take to the water to see if you've forgotten something.

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
In NJ we have a Coast Guard courtesey exam.They check all the normal required items and issue a compliance sticker.Also have the State Marine Police division and
a few local jurisdictions out ther checking.One thing every boater needs is ADEQUATE anchorline.Even for bay usage minimum should be 7 times the expected depth.My boat was equipped with 200ft of 3/8ths for bay use and 600ft of 1/2 inch for ocean use.avg ocean depth was 110ft.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
You are right that every boat needs the proper amount of anchor line, but that is one thing they never check us for on the river.
One bad thing about our safety inspections is that they do not issue a sticker. I've been had 4 times in one boating season. :pat: Overkill for sure.

OhioTC18

Yeah Doc, they should at least have a sticker for you to display. But then again, you could always toss the life jackets off in the garage next week too.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Yeah Doc, they should at least have a sticker for you to display. But then again, you could always toss the life jackets off in the garage next week too.

:rofl: I can just see a boat window filled with little stickers, much like the buckeyes on OSU's helmets. :rofl:

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
I used to get USCG exams and stickers on my 42 Carver and before that my 28 Carver. I get it for my Glaspar, but they will never issue one for PV, because of the noise. Has nothing to do with safety, but it is a problem to them.

PV has 5 fire extinguishers, 3 being automatic, two fixed radios, a handheld, LifeLine safety jackets (if you don't know what these are, they are very expensive, but are designed for a high speed ejection/crash), 25mm flares, extra life jackets, it's documented and has the numbers affixed properly, all the lights, horns, instruments, compass, etc work, and on and on. It has more safety equipment then some of the cabin cruisers I used to cruise with. But because it upsets some ragbaggers, it won;t pass the muster. But I do pass the CG station on the way to the lake and always get a wave and a thumbs up from them. Probably because I'm the only boater that has the jackets on all the time?