River Rat from Southern Indiana

RiversRme

New to this forum. I will start out by providing a link about my last river trip. Click the link to see a brief log of the trip.
Tennessee/Cumberland River Trip

RiverTripMap.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Hi RiversRme! Welcome to Net Boat Talk. I'm glad you found us.

What a kewl trip you guys did. How many miles did you travel a day & what speed did you cruise? The pics were good. I especially appreaciate the map showing the route for the entire trip, to give an overall view of things. In fact I'll post that map here if you don't mind. I'll add it to your post to avoid confusion (since I'm the admin here I can do that ....hope you don't mind).

Enjoy and post often. :thumb: :D

OhioTC18

That must have been an awesome trip. The story and pictures were wonderful.

Welcome to Net Boat Talk

RiversRme

Posting the map is a great idea. I should have thought of that. We averaged about 90 miles a day with some days taking a lot more time and others getting some miles behind us. I usually cruised at around 20mph. For that boat it is the most fuel efficient speed (just on plane). This is a photo of how we dried out our stuff after a storm.
Clothes%20Drying.JPG

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Good pic. :thumb: That'd work for drying out your stuff.

Did you have side panels to help protect you from the storm? I've been on a boat much like that during a storm without side panels. Man we got drenched.

jtellefsen24

That looked like a blast! Awesome Idea and great pictures. Whats next on the agenda? I am sure you already have something else in mind.

RiversRme

We had no side panels, except for a tarp that we clamped onto the bimini while stopped. I do have a roll-down plastic window in front of the console that is the whole width of the boat, so while moving it kept us dry. For the next trip I have my eye on the Missouri River. We will put in at Alton, IL on the Mississippi then go up the Missouri. Not sure how far we will go. There are very few fuel opportunities there and the Missouri can be a mean river.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
It does sound like fun. Folks I've talked to online who boat around St. Louis have said the current on the Mississippi is around 8mph all the time. :eek: That would sure take some getting used to.
I know nothing of the Missouri river, wondering in what way it can be a mean river?

RiversRme

It does sound like fun. Folks I've talked to online who boat around St. Louis have said the current on the Mississippi is around 8mph all the time. :eek: That would sure take some getting used to.
I know nothing of the Missouri river, wondering in what way it can be a mean river?

The upper Mississippi usually has mild currents due to the dams but from St. Louis down it is free-flowing and the current is strong. What I mean by "mean" is that the Missouri also has swift currents along with a lot of floating logs, plus the wing dams. These are piles of rocks running toward the channel from the banks and when the river stage is high they can't be seen but can be hit. They were built to keep the river channel self-scouring so it is important to stay in the channel and away from those rock piles.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Ahhh, that could sure be dangerous. You have to know the river for sure. The Ohio is damn controlled everywhere AFAIK. The current is usually minimal. Very manageable.

Have you ever been on the Ohio?

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Ahhh nice area. I was there for the Houseboat show in Feb 09. Had to cross the river into Indiana to get a good look at things. Found a neat little park with Lewis and Clark memoriabila that had a great view of the river and Louisville's river front.

One of these years I hope to travel down river with our house boat and spent the winter in some marina on the Mississippi. Maybe as far as New Orleans ....nothing decided for sure at this point. I'll have to be retired before that happens and I'm 8 to 10 years from retirement.