older chrysler

boat newbee

I have an older Chrysler 55 hp. that ran fine last season( so I was told) this season no spark I took the flywheel off to expose the points and coils but not sure how to test and set up points I can turn wrench on anything but boats are new to me does anyone know of a site to check the serial #s so I can get the age of motor, any and all help is appreciated
thanks Don

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
I can't help you 'zactly, but on older v8 cars, if we didn't have a feeler gage to set points, we just got the follower up on the high point of the cam and used a match book to set the gap. Maybe completely different on the OB. Dwell angle of the points directly affects timing, so you need to get it right. But if it looks as if the points are opening and closing, and you did not mess with the adjustment, I'd start by looking for power at the coils, check the condenser (disconnect the condenser wire, connect an regular analog ohm meter to the lead and to the case, and the ohms should start low and move up. Be careful, now that condenser has some zap to it!). Are you sure you are getting fuel?

Last edited:

boat newbee

I am sure the problem is no spark I rebuilt the carb and get lost of fuel the plug gets good and wet when I put a spark tester on the line it was dead can the points cause that or go directly to the coils also is there any way to test coils??
thanks Don

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
Don

Hoping BT Doc chimes in here - I am noy an OB engine guy at all.

But, with the key on, you should have voltage at the + side of the coil.

The points break the circuit at the right time, so the collapsing field across the secondary side causes a spark at the spark plug..

If the condenser is bad, no breaking the circuit.

For a V-8 type engine:
To test a coil you need an ohm meter. The primary side is between the + terminal and the - terminal. The ohmmeter should not be showing infinite, and should not be very low either. In other words, you should read some resistance.
The secondary side is the coil wire and the case of the coil. Again, some resistance should be read.

BT can probably tell how many ohms on each side.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Good luck with it Don. Please keep us posted as you work through it ...and hopefully our own BTdoctor will chime in on this. He must be out having fun somewhere.

boat newbee

thanks your input has been very helpful ,now I just need to get my butt in gear and fix it LOL
thanks again Don
ps. cross your fingers I need all the luck I can get

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
One more thing on checking coils, you should not have any reading between the primary and secondary side.