Anyone ever have an issue like this on a new boat?

bdavis

Has anyone ever had an issue like this with a brand new boat? When I first got my new princecraft starfish DLX last summer, I couldn't figure out where all the water was coming from. I thought at first it may be coming in from around the fittings for the live-well, then I thought it may be the drain plug. THen I noticed that the water outlet for the bilge pump sits right about level with the water line when I had the boat pulled up on shore. That wasn't it. And I mean a fairly large amount of water was coming in. if I was out for any more than an hour with it, water would be over 4 inches deep a the back of the boat with the bilge pump going pretty much steady. Then, the bildge pump stopped working. I got the boat back to the trailer and decided to pull it our of the water and leave the drain plug in the boat so I could see if there was a leak anywhere. Wasn't hard to spot as soon as I pulled it out of the water, I took one look and noticed that water was steadily running out of this little hole right behind the drivers seat. I felt the whole and there was a burr on the outside exactly what would be left from a drill bit. I looked a little further and noticed that the hole lined up perfectly with a screw holding the subfloor in place.

Bellow is a picture of the hole.

boat002.jpg

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Nope. Never had an issue like that. Sure seems like a factory screw up. What did the dealer say about the hole?

bdavis

Oh, they fixed the whole and went after princecraft directly for a discount of some sorts. Needless to say, I wasn't too impressed with a brand new boat with a hole in it.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
No, I'm sure you weren't. Very poor quality control. But, if you have to have a problem that is one that there is no doubt about if they fix it or not. I don't think it will hurt the boat at all. They have those types of repairs down to a science.

rlk

bdavis, I have a friend who bought an aluminum bass tracker boat that had the same exact problem. This was about 15 years ago. Since he bought it from Bass Pro Shops in Missouri????, Bass Tracker had to find a local shop that could weld aluminum and make arrangements for the repair.

rlk

W'nt Crazy

Glad that they got if fixed for you,, but I am not surprised. Next time you are in a boat dealer ship, take some time to REALLY look a boat over, you will be surprised at what you will find. My brother works for a MAJOR fiberglass boat manufactor and in one hour at a local dealership he showed me what to look for. yes, even screws that have dempled the gell coat because they are run in to far or were the wrong screw for the location. Its not about quality but quantity..