ski boat won't start

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
We are trying to Winterize Nick's ski boat. But it won't start. So far we've been through charging the batteries, replaced the starter cylinoid, removed the starter and replaced with a known good one, checked 50amp fuse on back, checked the resister block, checked the neutral safety switch all to no avail.
Symptom is that when we turn the key nothing but a buzz from the cylinoid. Thinking MAYBE it's the starter switch but that is a total guess. It's a 3 wire starter .... could we bypass the starter very easiily?

Any other ideas on what to check?

mla2ofus

Check all connections from the starter all the way to batt.,including both ends of ground cable. That buzzing is usually an indicator of poor connection somewhere in the cranking circuit,usually right at the batt connections.
Mike

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Good info guys. Nick plans to work on this later this afternoon. I'll be sure to mention what both of you have posted.
Thanks!!!!!!!!

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
"3 wire starter"???? Ford`s usually have the cable connection from the starter going to a relay, other end of relay goes to battery.sometimes the main relay is operated by a slave.Sounds like more of a bad connection.shorting the 2 big lugs on the relay should spin the starter. if not check all battery connections especially the ground at the block

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Thanks again.
He did not get home until 7pm from the Palin rally. Nice weather in the forecast this week so he was not motivated to get right at it on the boat.
I'll post as I find out more on this issue.

Crums

Wakeboarder Extraordinaire
Hey Doc, did Nick call discount inboard marrine yet?

Those guys know that motor inside and out.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
He tried to call them Saturday ... but could not get an answer.
He got home late last night ... but did put a battery on change and checked the ground connections. He said all connections look good. He's planning to work on it some more tonight.

OhioTC18

Doc,
With all the moisture that is around with a boat, the battery cables them selves may have corrosion up inside of the insulation that you can't see. Those would be a minor expense. Ground connection and bad cables most definitely will cause the problems he has.

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try using a set of jumpers from the battery to the starter. If it now works ,cables, cable ends are suspect

mrfixit

:biggrin:Well good news, I did some more work and double checked all my conections tonight. Took your advise Bt doctor got a set of cables and put it on the soilenoid, she fired right up.
Now while she is going good I'm going to winterized tommorrow after work and then I'll go ahead and replace the cables, cause the one is really short and by the time I get to good wire a know it will be really short.
Thanks to everyone for all the good advise!!!!