1979 30 FT Buccaneer

Jay209

Im in the market to buy a first time sail boat. I have ran accross a 30 foot buck at a good price. Some people tell me that this is a bad boat to buy (death trap) and some people tell me that this is the best boat they have ever owned! Im not sure what to do! Please any info would be a BIG help. Like i said this is going to be our first boat. This is going to be a family boat so i need somthing safe! Please help!!! Thanks jay

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
Don't know a thing about bloboats, other than I wouldn't own one, BUT, I am sure the same criteria fits for all boats.

Where are you boating?
Was the boat designed for that venue?
How are you you going to use it?
Was it built for that service?

Boating on the ocean? An inland lake boat is a death trap. Want family use, but built for racing, you will not like it.

Jay209

The boat will be kept in the delta "california". The farest it will go is to san francisco bay. This will primarley be a family rec boat but will be in some local races, nothing big. This is what the boat was bilt for. I am confused buy all the info i have read on it tho, i keep seeing Chrysler co. \ u.s. marine / Bayliner - in refrence to the actuall maker. I just need some strait info!

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Welcome Jay. Wish I knew something about them but offhand I don't. I'll do a little digging and see what I can come up with.
Welcome to net boat talk. I'm glad you joined. :D :thumb:

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I found that sailboats that are prone to roll over in rough water can quickly turn into death traps. The links from newspapers that hit with the 1979 30ft Buckeneer all charged a subscription to view them ..so no help there.

I did find that a link that said they were made by Bayliner in 1979. And that it weighs around 10,200.

Here's a pic of one in FL:

30ft_buckeneerBayliner.jpg

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
I believe Bayliner is a division of US Marine. Chrysler used to build boats as well. I doubt Bayliner built a sailbaoat, maybe as a company division, but who knows. Chrysler Marine may have been bought by Bayliner, and maybe Chrysler made this boat????

Like I said, I Know Nuuuthing about sailboates (sort of like Sgt Schultz), but that keel seems small for that boat? If the boat turns over, that must have something to do with the weight, shape, and area of the keel.

Whatever you do, buy Type-1 lifevests, have a permanent radio installed, with the antenna up at the top of the mast, do not buy a cheap radio and antenna, buy a top-of-the line ICOM, Standard, or any other major marine brand, and use a Shakespeare Galaxy antenna, with a metal mounting bracket. Then buy yourself a very good handheld. DO NOT GET CHEAP ON SAFETY.

Any boat can be a deathtrap. And a cheap boat usually turns out to be very expensive. People die in Bayliners just as they do on unsinkable ships.

The biggest part of boating is enjoying it. If you have concerns about the designs of the boat, don't buy it. Move on to something you feel good about.