Covered slip roof collapses during snow storm

jim_s

Super Moderator
We were so busy with the over 4' of snow at our place I didn't know this happened over on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I never saw anything in the newspaper about it. The April Issue of Chesapeake Bay Magazine has a short article, quoted below.

We subscribe to the magazine and their web site has a lot of info about boating and the Bay.

The Snow that Broke the Camel's Back

A month after the roof over E-dock's slips collapsed at Bohemia Bay Yacht Haven, the extent of the damage had yet to be determined. What had been determined is that "historic" amounts of snow over two weeks in early February caused the roof on E-dock to buckle from one end to the other, burying nearly 40 boats. By March 1, according to Bohemia Bay general manager Ken Long, most of the debris had been removed from 15 boats damaged but still afloat and some of the debris from the 22 boats that were sunk by the weight. The water in the area was still covered by a sheen from leaking fluids.

"After we have finished removing the debris, we'll try to refloat the boats," Long said. The slips at Bohemia Bay Yacht Haven are owned by the slipholders rather than leased. "We have a very strong group of members," Long said, "and they've been very positive in their encouragement."

Long said he could not estimate the total monetary loss until the insurance company had finished its work. The marina also had contractors and engineers looking at the stability of the remaining slip canopies.

Only a few miles to the south, Georgetown Yacht Basin on the Sassafras River also lost one of its covered-slip roofs to the record snowfall. Sections of the roof over the marina's J-dock buckled, burying a number of boats underneath, some of them antiques. Unlike at Bohemia Bay, however, none of the Georgetown boats sank.

moz-screenshot.png

bohemia_bay.jpg

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Wow, that is horrible. :eek:

Never thought of that with all that snow that you had a few months ago.

I don't understand those folks leaving their boats in year round. You can't winterize then. Some use bubblers to keep the water from freezing around the boat but ...look at what can happen.