Do you anchor your houseboat overnight?

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
We've had a 50' Gibson for about a year now. Since then I've gotten better at anchoring, but since we boat on the Ohio river we always have to deal with current and barges 24x7.
Do you ever anchor out overnight? I never have but wondering if others have a sure fire way to feel safe anchored out all night long.

jackdowns

Doc;
I usually pull aground & snub off to trees if available, drive mooring post if trees not available. Lines are snubed at least 1/4 back of admidship. Setting an anchor from the upriver stern if wave action is problem and also can help if you are too hard aground (Heve yourself back). Be sure to note Depth, current and Wind! Trees with good roots are nice too!:dizzy2:

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Thanks Jack. Trees are a good idea. That is how they do it down in Cumberland.

W'nt Crazy

I don't have a houseboat, but I do anchor my sailboat alot. I spend a lot of overnites on it. Several tricks to anchoring, the anchor should match the type of bottom material, it should be sized for the lenght of you boat, most people neglect to use chain on their anchor (it helps with the angle or scope) the rest of the anchor rode would depend on the size of the boat also. finially you should have the correct amount of scope out. as a rule 7 to 1 . set your properly matched anchor and rode by backing down on the set. once you have backed it down when you remove power the boat should move forward some. most modern GPSs have anchor alarms if conditions warrant, check it often.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
How deep of water are you anchoring in overnight W'nt Crazy?

I'm looking at 30' depth. Times 7 puts me at 210' of line. A bit much for the river to keep me out of barge lanes. As I understand it your anchor rope can be 3 to 7 times the depth. Last year I went with 4 times (120') and it worked fine, unless the wind shifted completely and started blowing us up river. That happened once last year.

I've attempted putting out two anchors but never had success with that. Anyone know the correct technique ofr setting two anchors?
How about the correct technique for setting one anchor. Do you use your motor to 'set' the anchor. I don't.

I agree, chain on the anchor is a must ....unless your boat is a canoe or small john boat. Then you might get by without it but for most boats 6' of chain at the anchor can make a huge difference in anchoring success.

W'nt Crazy

I am anchoring in any were from 20 to 50 feet, the 7 to 1 is what the books tell ya. and yes a lot of people use 3/4 to 1. most quys don't carry enought rode to do 7/1 in all circumstances. if the wind is up ,yes i will use the motor to set the anchor, I drop anchor, pay out suffecent scope and then attempt to drag the anchor with the engine, depending on the boat you can feel when it sets, or have some one watch the rode you will know when it is set, Two anchors: are usually set at 45 deg. to each other a real pain, have to drop on set it then pull ahead keeping rode out of the prop. drop second, set it on a shorter scope so as not to have the first one stopping you. I have set two sometimes in narrow coves by droping a stern anchor, play out all rode pull forward set that one, drop bow anchor, back it to set ,take up slack to hang perfectly centered in a narrow cove, If you anchor you will Drag an anchor or complletely pull free, it will happen.,