Pictures of Navy ships

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I Served in the US Navy aboard the USS Butte AE-27. It was an ammunition supply ship. It was de-commissioned in the 90's. Here is one of the best pictures of it I've seen.

Please post pictures of Navy ships if you have them.

ae27_butte.jpg

OhioTC18

My Brother-In-Law spent his whole Navy career as a Missile Tech on the the USS KAMEHAMEHA (SSBN 642). I just can't imagine diving and not seeing daylight for 90 days at a time.
Commissioned 1966
Decommissioned 2002
Recycling Completed 2003

ssbn642_5.jpg

OhioTC18

My wifes uncle was a Reactor Operator in the 80's on the USS Dwight D Eisenhower (CVN 69).
Hard to imagine a 5000+ crew on board.

026912.jpg

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
When we did a west-pac cruise (Viet-nam) we supplied the USS Enterprise ammo. It's soooo big. To say it dwarfed us is a understatement.

I had no idea how the USS Butte ended up. Hate to see it but thanks for the detective work. :thumb:

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
My Brother-In-Law spent his whole Navy career as a Missile Tech on the the USS KAMEHAMEHA (SSBN 642). I just can't imagine diving and not seeing daylight for 90 days at a time.
Commissioned 1966
Decommissioned 2002
Recycling Completed 2003

I couldn't imagine the 30 days they used to do back in the 70's. 90 days underwater would sure be surreal. Given the choice I'll stay on top of the water!

Good pics Jerry!!!!!

OhioTC18

USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) returns home to San Diego after a training mission.
Notice the little tug down underneath trying to give her a shove to help turn.

CVN 76.jpg