QESTION I HAVE ABOUT A 18FOOT BASS BOAT

mcgill

HELLO

QESTION I HAVE ABOUT A 18 FOOT BASS BOAT , I KNOW YOU CAN USE IT IN A KAKE. BUT CAN YOU USE IT IN THE BIG BAY WATERS. I LIKE TO DO SOME CRABBING WITH THIS BOAT.AND HERE IN MY LOCATION THE WATERS IN THIS BAY CAN GET RIGH AT TIMES.

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
If the bay is flat, and there is no weather predicted, and the entire region is under a high pressure dome, go for it. But I would not go out in anything over a foot, or with any weather front anywhere nearby. If there are large boats out there, their wakes could capsize you. Those bass boats have practically no free-board. FWIW, I have a flat bottom drag boat that I occasionally will take out on Lake Michigan. But only when under a high pressure dome that is not moving. I always wear a vest, as the passengers must also, the vests are Lifelines which are bulkier than the standard orange ones most use, always wear the kill-switch lanyard, always test the kill switch, always have my portable radio, always my cell, always have a fixed radio, always test the radios, always let at least one landlubber know when to expect me to return and where I intend to go, and always with full fuel. I have a much better chance then most boaters who think it won't happen to them. Plus, the boat will outrun any incoming weather.