engine dies under stress

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I have a 50' Gibson houseboat. It has two Crusaders / 454 engines. Both ran fine all season. When I went to take it out last Oct. one egine would die when I gave it gas, more than 2000 rpm (my highest normal cruising rpm). No matter what it would die. The boat was new to me last year and I had never changed plugs in it. I think that will be the first thing I do.

What else would you reccommend before putting her back in the water? In other words, what do you think would cause a problem like this?

Mith

Doc, I only have experience with small engines, but applying that knowledge...

Try the plugs. I would also be looking towards a fuel issue if that doesn't help. Too lean a mixture would cause the engine to stall when you rev it up. I don't know what the engine is like (never heard of a Crusader), if its a type with adjustable jets then opening the idle mixture might help, but a good clean of the fuel system might help.

Again, this might not be of any use, I've not worked on a marine engine before, or anything over 2 cylinders.

jim_s

Super Moderator
Are they fuel injected or have carbs?

The quadrajet has a built in fuel filter that could be stopped up.

Jim

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Carbs. This is the same engine that I had minor trouble with mid season. I ended up resetting the points and all was well, er, at least I thought it was. I think an overall tune up is in order.

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
Fuel filter? There's one in the carb inlet and usually a water separator somewhere between the tank and the carb. If you change the one on the carb, USE TWO WRENCHES, one for the pipe nut and one for the carb adapter.

Check your fuel tank vent. Bees like to build nests in there. No air going in; no gas coming out.

Make sure the line to the vent is not sucking closed.

Any backfiring? I've seen distributor hold downs come loose. Happened on my last boat (42' Carver Aft - nice boat, performance pig)

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Thanks for your thoughts on this Fred. No backfiring at all. She would just die. I'll be sure to change the filter and check for a nest and a collapsing line. Probably be April before I get er done though.

Fred, did you try to add the pic in your sig like on FF? I have a lot of tweaking to do here, but I'll get it all set up much like FF. If you find something not working the same just give me a shout.

OhioTC18

Doc,
Is the engine old enough to still have a coil? The coil tower could be cracked or it overheats and just shuts down. My experience with coils is that you'd get some hesitation and then sputtering and dying though.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I have points. I suppose it's Delco Mallory Points. During the summer I had the same issue with this engine (I had forgot about it) and resetting the points got me going again. I was planning to replace the points but never did. :hide: