Gas line busted = no heat

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Last night I came home to a cold house. Thought the furnace had broke down and called the repair guys. Then my wife tried to light the gas fireplace. No go. It won't light. Gas stove won't light either. :gay: Gas is out. Crap.
It's 20 degrees here with high winds. And I have to go trace 2500 ft of gas line to see if I can find the leak. (I have a well on the back of my 50 acres and I have a free gas hookup. Problem is when it fails, I'm the gas man.) So I try to fire up the ATV. No go. Dead battery from sitting all season. I planned to replace the battery this spring but that didn't help me NOW. Had to pull start it, which is never fun, but I finally got it going, and I bundled up like the michelen man and headed out.
I was able to find that the well tenders graded the road to the gas well. They check the well weekly, and I had not been that way for a couple of months. Going slow on the road I found a spot where I smelled gas. Had to look for 1/2 hour for the leak but finally found it. A tree had fallen in the road and the well tender had cut it up and pushed it to the side. Looks like they nicked the gas line in the process. I marked the line and go to the well and shut off the gas. This was just before dark last night.
Then I got ahold of the well tender. He is going to meet me this morning and we are going to try to get the line fixed. it's 18 degrees here, so this willl not be fun at all.
Sure was cold in the house all last night. I have a heat pump for backup but when the temps go below freezing heat pumps can't keep the temp much above 55.
Wish me luck in getting the heat back to normal in the house.
And to top it off, I'm supposed to head to Louisville at noon today. Going to be a tight schedule for sure.
Long way of saying ...I will be scarce on here today. Yall have fun. :D :evil:

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
The leak is fixed and gas is back on here at the house. Ahhhhhhhhhh. Dang squirrels gnawed into the line. The gas tender said he had seen it before, lots of times. for some reason the dumb animals like the type of pipe I have (black plastic pipe). Now days they add something to the pipe manufacturing process so the animals don't like it, plus the line is yellow rather than black.
pat.gif
Live and learn.
Sure is nice to be back in business. Now I can go on the road trip to a houseboat show in Louisville and not be concerned about things back home.
thumb.gif
biggrin.gif