New performance boat builder launched

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Four principals long on marine-industry experience have come together to form Statement Marine, a new performance boat builder that will introduce two new models at the 2009 Miami International Boat Show, the company said in its first release.

Statement grew out of conversations between Nick Buis, whose previous businesses have included a marine service company and a Poker Run concierge business, and Todd Werner, a World Champion APBA Super Cat racer. After comparing notes, Buis and Werner decided to consult friend and boat builder Mark Spates, and Statement Marine was born, according to the release.

Later, Gene Weeks, who has more than 25 years of experience in the marine industry, joined the trio as general manager.

"Over the past four decades, innovative people have built some awesome boats," Weeks said. "However, in recent years, the tendency has been to stretch, chop, widen and massage what we already had. When I saw the 'missing links' that a couple of reputable, creative guys were considering, I thought, 'These guys have some — let's say, guts — and I had to be a part of it.'"

The two new models were built in the company's 40,000 square foot facility in St. Petersburg. The boats are a 42-foot Vee bottom and a 50-foot catamaran that incorporate new technologies and designs designed to sustain high speeds without compromising safety or comfort while also performing and handling well at lower speeds, according to Statement.