Please don`t do this to your mechanic

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
hello, I got your number from,_____________, and want you to put a new/rebuilt motor I bought on ebay without even hearing it run in my boat.Only has 3 hours on it.A complete dressed FWC GM 350

OK, bring it over to the shop for setup and test run.
Must have been in a OMC or Volvo because of the funky dipstick, coupler, no front mounts or wiring harness.OMC pully setups.put on mounts and install in motor cradle. Drop pan to install M/C type dipstick and find:
Clean oil
1 castle type nut in the pan
a grey pasty looking substance in the bottom of the pan
5 loose connecting rods that go clank when you move them
call the owner and give him the depressing news
no warrantee,as is sale.
But it did have new block, manifolds and risers, FWC system with wrong plumbing,new alt, belts, carb
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, HEAR THE MOTOR RUNNING OR WATER TESTED BEFORE YOU PLUNK YOUR MONEY DOWN

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
So .... someone did that to you? Sorry bout that. What a nightmare that would be.

I've met folks who bought a boat without taking it out for a drive. Seems crazy to me. Even more so with a motor. I suppose if they got it on ebay and the seller had a good rep that and they got a great price I can see why they might bite. But you have to resist that urge. Some things are best bought up close and personal where you can try em out.