Refilling outdrives or outboards EXCEPT OMC

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you choose to use the 1Qt bottle method instead of the pump kit get 2 Qts of oil and the tapered nozzel you find on gear lube bottles. fill to the very top container 1 with 2nd bottle.Insert into drive and squeeze as much as possable.remove bottle 1 and pour contents into bottle 2 to the top.(no air pocket). Squeeze 2nd bottle to expell any air, insert into drive, squeeze untill it comes out the top hole.Install plugs.
Pump Method
Pump slowly so as not to introduce air bubbles,transfer pump to 2nd bottle before you empty 1st bottle.Continue pumping slowly till it comes out the top hole.
If you pump enough bubbles, you will have a false "Full" reading leaving your wallet hurting.

Last edited:

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
How in the world would you insert the bottle before you squeeze it all in? Seems like you'd need a nipple with a hose to put in the outdrive. And getting one of those to fit exact might be tricky.
-------------
(edit to add: unless you just take the pump portion off and use that ... is that what you are meaning????) If so that seems like it would be easier than pumping. :thumb:
------------

When I've filled it I pump from the bottom hole (drain hole) till I see it coming out the top. Not doing it to fast is a good tip. I never thought of that before.

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Edited the post to reflect using the tapered nozzel you find on gear oil bottles commonly found in auto stores
I`ve used regular Hypoid gear oil 80-85-90Wt Val.in drives. Works just as good and a bit cheaper too. I now use the sierra 85-90Wt in a 5 gal bucket with the hand pump.
I see no difference between Auto,Sierra, Mercruiser Hi-Perf.,Mercruised Std.

Last edited: