New regulations for Canadian boaters

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
Boating Industry
Tuesday April 15, 2008

OTTAWA — New regulations in Canada will require all operators of motorized pleasure craft to have proof of competency by Sept. 15, 2009, Transport Canada – a government agency that oversees transportation in the country – said in a release last week.

Proof of competency can be a Pleasure Craft Operator Card, proof that the operator passed a boating safety course in Canada before April 1, 1999 or a completed Rental Boat Safety Checklist.

Pleasure Craft Operator Cards are issued when a person passes a test administered by an accredited boating safety course provider. While no one is required to take the course before taking the test, Transport Canada encourages pleasure boaters to get the training that will give them knowledge and skills that may save lives.

Already, any boater born after April 1, 1983, or anyone who operates a motorized pleasure craft less than four meters long, including personal watercraft, must have proof of competency on board, or risk fines up to $250.

"Our government wants Canada's several million recreational boaters to enjoy increased safety on the water," said Lawrence Cannon, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities. "We believe that requiring proof of competency will help reduce the number of incidents and deaths that occur on our waterways every year."​

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
I bet this helps alot. Just like driver's licenses help avoid accidents on the road. Ever since having a driver's license became mandatory, I've never seen a drunk driver, an idiot driver, a speeder, or much worse, a deadly accident. Why, they just don't happen anymore! NOT!

Just another reason to make our life miserable on the water by the water cops.

bdavis

I agree..........it's maily inteneded for the larger waterways where you've got over 100 boats zippin around on the lake and everybody and their dog has a sea-doo. I got my license for it last year. Basically read a book, then did a test. Allot of the stuff in the book doesn't even apply to most people out there.(how to read navigation charts, correct horn signals, etc...) I can see that stuff coming in handy on the more poppulated waterways down in outhern ontario and around Winnipeg MB but for the other 75% of the boating poppulation up here that have a 14-18ft open fishing boat and go on waterways where you might have only 2-3 other boats on a lake thats 15 miles long, well, that stuff just doesn't apply.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
I have to wonder if it will affect US residents who go up north for fishing trips. Will they be required to get a license? Or folks doing the "Big Loop" will they need a license?