Mercury union keeps strike option open

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
Boating Industry
Tuesday April 15, 2008

FOND DU LAC, Wis. – Union workers at Mercury Marine have voted to give themselves a strike option should ongoing contract negotiations fail, according to a story in the The Reporter newspaper over the weekend.

Members of the International Association of Machinists, Local 1947, voted nearly unanimously – 99.8 percent – that the 1,600-member union should have the right to strike, union President Mark Zillges, told the newspaper.

Zillges said the outcome does not guarantee a strike, but notifies the company and union headquarters that a strike may occur so everyone can prepare. He said the union would continue negotiating its contract with Mercury Marine, but that if a solution can't be reached, the union may vote to strike.

"The vote (on Saturday) will not put us on the streets," Zillges told The Reporter.

The current three-year contract between the union and Mercury expires on June 21, Zillges said.

Mercury Marine spokesman Steve Fleming said contract discussions began in late January and told the newspaper he could not comment on the contract's conditions because of ongoing negotiations.

Fleming and Zillges said they have agreed not to release any details of a contract until it is accepted.

"It's our policy not to discuss negotiations while they are in progress," Fleming said.

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
And my 2 cents

I don't understand this union mentality anymore. For example, American Axle in Michigan has been on strike for 7 weeks now. In Michigan. You know, the state that is dying on the vine.

These folks made anywhere from 1400 a week to almost 2500 a week, gross and go on strike because the company wants to charge them for a share of health insurance (like the rest of us), and some wage concesions (I think a buck up to 2 an hour).

Now this is a product that can be made anywhere. Mexico, Canada, Ecuador, China, etc.

7 weeks pay minimum pay is $9,800, max pay $17,500. How do they EVER expect to recoup that? As a manager, if those numbers were presented as a capital expenditure, I would chase the presenter out of the office. What a bad business decision by the union members.

Let's look at the 2500/week person. Let's say it is a 3 year contract. That's 6240 hours. To get back the money lost, SO FAR, they'd have to get a $3.00 hour raise, and that is not considering the cost of money. That's just to break even! I don't get it, at all.

The company has been hiring "scabs" as the union brothers call them. I believe in a year, the last comapny offer is automatically instated, and the company can choose who to bring back. But I could be wrong on that in Michigan.

And we wonder why companies move offshore? $130,000 per year for factory union labor? HELLO!

Watch Mercury go offshore too.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Crazy. Why the union leaders would encourage such a strike. Surely they realize the day of the unions is numbered. Knowing that you would think they would bend over backwards to avoid a strike.
The union demands stiffeled our automotive market. And we all see the results of that on our streets. Sure the toyotas and hondas etc ... are put together over here. And the companies are not held in the death grip that the union has on GM, Ford and Chrysler.
It rarely makes sense to go on strike, but in an economy like ours is today it is downright crazy to walk out on your job trying to force a few more benefits. :pat: