What is your longest trip on your boat?

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Before we got the houseboat each year we would do a 90 mile trip downriver. We would spend the night at the Galipollis marina and head home the next day.
How about you? Do you do overnight trips? What is your longest trip ever (by boat)?

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
We bought a new Carver 2807 Riviera in Sept of 88 and got a super price at the end of the year. Our son was born in May of 88. The last week of August and the first two weeks of September 89, we took off for Mackinac Island, from New Buffalo Michigan. About 350 miles each way. We stopped at every other port on the way up, sometimes 3 or 4 a day, and stayed at whatever one was nearest when getting dark. Stayed on the island a few days, then hit all the ports we missed, on the way back. Even hit a few in Grand Traverse Bay.

Gone for almost 3 weeks. Best trip I ever took.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Doc, How long would it take you to make the 90 mile trip? What boat did you use then?

That was with the Baja. Very easy to do that trip in a few hours. Averaging 35mph even with stops to play around and contacting the damns to lock through we could do the trip in 4 to 5 hours. We take our time on purpose, just to enjoy the trip. I love cruising like that. Of course every once in awhile we would bump it up to 50+mph just for the fun of it. Wires over the river have huge balls attached to them so that aircraft do not run into them. Those balls make a perfect finish line, so once they are in sight it's throttle down ....and race to the balls. :beer: Then we stop and raz whoever lost or came in last.
The Baja is a great cruising boat, but is kinda cramped for sleeping. One night on it is enough. With the houseboat we can now boat all day on the Baja then return to the houseboat for the evening. Best of both worlds. We're sure enjoying it while we can. :D