Last Navy Ship my Son served on.HSV-2 SWIFT

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
ROTA, Spain — The High Speed Vessel Swift may be the most unlikely vessel in the U.S. Navy inventory: a fighting car ferry.
But this is no ferry tale. It’s the story of a high-speed, high-technology vessel that may be the shape of things to come for the Navy.
The HSV Swift is one of the fastest ships in the Navy inventory, a sleek, 320-foot long, 11,000-ton vessel that can reach 47 knots — warp speed on water.
It’s affectionately known as “the vomit comet” because uninitiated sailors and Marines are prone to throwing up during their first trip on the Swift. It’s so fast, say crewmembers only half jokingly, that the next generation HSVs will have weapons that only point to the rear because nothing will outrun them.
From ferry boat to Navy speedster
When the Navy got the High Speed Vessel Joint Venture in 2001, it had completed two years of ferry service. The interior still looked very much like a ferry, down to the bar still in place, according to Petty Officer 1st Class James Ottman.

International Catamaran of Australia, or InCat, spent 60 days modifying the vessel, “then said, ‘OK military, try it out,’” Ottman said.
In two years, U.S. sailors have suggested a lot of improvements, and InCat has complied, producing the Navy’s second HSV, the Swift, he said.
Since ferry trips are generally at sea three hours or less instead of weeks and months, the Navy had to add water systems for showers and cooking, more storage space and even a place to carry engine oil, Ottman said. And because ferries always go to the same place every day, InCat had to modify the ship so it could plug into electrical and water sources no matter where or how it docks.
A third Navy HSV is under construction.

Swift basics
• The Swift is powered by four, 10,000-horsepower Caterpillar Co. 3618 diesel engines.
• It has a crew of 42. The small crew is something of a problem in that it means the ship has fewer people to maintain the four giant diesel engines, said Jonathan Scholefield, territory customer support manager for Caterpillar Marine Division.
• Range is 4,000 miles.
• Home stations: Naval Station Ingleside, Texas, and Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek, Va.
— Terry Boyd

Bt Doctur

Super Moderator
Staff member
file photo

What a Ship,he spent 3 months on it.

web_050905-N-4374S-001.jpg

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Re: file photo

What a weird looking ship. I was stationed on the USS Butte AE-27 (ammo supply ship) and it was odd compared to all the other ships in Norfolk ..... but I've never seen one like in that pic.

Good post. Anyone else have pics of Navy ships? I think I have one of the Butte somewhere. I'll post it when I find it.

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
So, if they advertise 47 knots, I bet that is at the top end of normal cruise, not anywhere near full power. Just like our subs only pull 30 knots. Ya, right.