When will you get your boat wet?

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Take it boating I mean. It will be late May for me. I guessing we have some who will be getting out and about this month.
Lets see who the first ones are here to get em wet.

dreamseeker

i was shooting for next weekend but alas i am not going to make it happen.

splash date will be first weekend in may. It will take me a little time to clean and wax and repaint the bottom. I also am planing on installing a set of smartabs to:)

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
So ... what are these smartabs you speak of? Never heard of them before.

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
If it is the same thing as I had on my 42 Carver, there's a sensor that determines the hull trim at the time the operator presses the set button. Then the sensor takes over the tabs and attempts to maintain that trim until the operator overrides the system.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
How did you like them Fred? For a bigger boat I suppose they could come in handy ... but normally I'd prefer trimming and tabbing on my own.

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
Doc

I'm not sure if I noticed them actually doing anything in smooth water or very rogh water. The boat was a very nice condo-on-the-water, but as a boat, it was a pig. I had to run the tabs way down to get the back of the boat out of the water and get any level of fuel efficiency.

I had some nice instrumentation on that boat, including a GPS connected FloScan and "Trimdicators". I achieved best MPG with the tabs at something like 13 degrees. The trimdicators indicated trim tab angle. So, I usually ran the tabs at about 13 degrees. But if there were a group of folks on the boat walking around while underway, I'd switch them on. It seemed to help keep the boat level side to side.

dreamseeker

Doc the smart tabs i ordered arent quite the same as the one waybomb had

the ones i am get have 60lb hydrulic cylinder that hold them down till pressure from the water puses tem up. Sopostly they bring you out of the water faster and on plane and help stop porpousing. They also help with a more stable ride. I know a few people that have them and swear they work great. I will post some pictures and let you know once they are on and tested

they are from what i hear great for lighter boats and ajust automaticaly
if you look up smaet tabs or go on ebey you can see them.

Last edited:

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
OOOO, that's sounds dangerous. Just my opinion.

I would check for a hook in the hull first, then work with a prop shop to find a prop that holds the boat up right.

I would not attempt to fix a systemic problem causing porpoising with trim tabs.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
dreamseeker, are you replacing regular tabs with these smarttabs? What size boat do your friends have that swear by them? I have manual tabs on my 25' Baja and very rarely use them. I don't understand how holding them down (until the pressure builds up) can help you plane off sooner. I'll check em out on ebay and look forward to pics when you get them.

Crums

Wakeboarder Extraordinaire
I was always under the impression if the boat didn't come with something from the factory you probly don't need it. How big of a boat do you have? I always thought trim tabs were meant for really big boats?

dreamseeker

dreamseeker, are you replacing regular tabs with these smarttabs? What size boat do your friends have that swear by them? I have manual tabs on my 25' Baja and very rarely use them. I don't understand how holding them down (until the pressure builds up) can help you plane off sooner. I'll check em out on ebay and look forward to pics when you get them.

i do not have tabs at all at the monment
boat is 21.5 ft running about 150 hp
waybomb i dont have a porpous problem at all as a matter of fact she rides smoothe and cuts through wakes and waves fine
the bow does ride a little higher then i like and even putting some wieght in it does help but slows it down a little. I want to bring the stern up and bow down for a little more smother ride and easer planing

from what i have been told these self ajust and help plane faster and at a lower speed also can add a little to top end at wot.

i belong to the BOC snf this is all i hear about from owners with boats from 17 to 24 ft and how well they work. So i thought i would give a try
it smart tabs dont work like it is said then i will be going with bennet tabs

i will find a link and try to post it here if possible.

dreamseeker

here is a copy and post about smart tabs let me know what you think
NAUTICUS
SMART TABS
SX
Performance Plus

The NEW SX series incoporates all of the fully automatic features of our popular SMART TABS, in addition to the rust and corrosion free benefits of molded compsite materials. Assembly can be completed in seconds and the installation in a few minutes. The only tools required are a drill with a 3/16" bit and a phillips screw driver. SMART TABS SX provide un-equaled performance and durability with no maintenance in fresh or salt water. The system can be specifically tuned to maximize the performance of any power boat, and TRACKING RIBS have been added to improve handling at higher speeds.

The patented SMART TABS are a one of the kind trim and stabilizer system that automatically adjusts to the sea conditions, without the needed for expensive electric or hydraulic hardware and switches. The system constantly reacts to the water conditions, boat speed, and balance providing a remarkable improvements on any boat.

Performance Benefits

• <LI style="COLOR: rgb(204,0,0)">Smoother and Faster Acceleration - (Great for Skiing) <LI style="COLOR: rgb(204,0,0)">40% less Bow Rise and 35% Lower On Plane Speed -
    (Great for Tubing) <LI style="COLOR: rgb(204,0,0)">More Top Speed and No Porpoising or Chine Walking <LI style="COLOR: rgb(204,0,0)">Improves Handling and Smoother Ride In Any Water
  • Improved Fuel Economy (11% +)
Assembly & Installation In Minutes

• <LI style="COLOR: rgb(204,0,0)">Complete assembly and mounting requires only a drill, a 3/16" bit, and a phillips screw driver. <LI style="COLOR: rgb(204,0,0)">The Integral design eliminates the need for wrenches.
  • All components "lock" together with self locking clevis pins.
Rugged Design: (TMCPC)
Thermo Molded Co Polymer Composite material provides superior strength and resilience for any rough water situation. Rust and corrosion are also eliminated so there is no need for anodes.
In short - NO MAINTENANCE!

Warranty
Nauticus, Inc. warrents to the retail purchaser of this product that it is free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of two (2) years from the date of purchase. Complete warrenty information is included with each kit and upon request.

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
Are these spring loaded? Then how is the spring sized? I would guess the spring presure needed with 2 people sitting at the helm would be very much different with one at the helm and three in the back.

I don't like drilling holes in boats. So when I do, I want to make sure I do it only once. If you feel you need the bow down, then install Bennetts. But before doing installation of any tabs on a non-tabbed boat, I'd make very sure the boat is propped correctly and that the engine is in good condition. Also, have you checked to see the moisture content of the hull? It may be heavy with water. Also, take EVERYTHING off the boat, except you life jacket and the radio, and have only a quarter tank of gas. Go out for a run and see how it runs. Weight can really screw up performance in a boat.

When we had the 42 Carver, we added and brought on board all kinds of stuff. Liquor, glasses, plates, silverwear, towels, clothes, safety equipment, extra bead spreads, and on and on. When we sold the boat, we emptied our stuff out into our van. That van was dragging tail with all the weight. You'd be surprised how it all adds up, I was.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Thanks for the info dreamseeker.

How adding drag to a boat can save you up to 11% fuel usage baffles me. A few years ago there were fins that were added to the lower unit that were supposed to help you plane off. I still see some once in awhile.

I googled smart tabs and found their web site:
http://www.nauticusinc.com/

dreamseeker

thanks for the thought. I didnt think about people and positioning of them
there could be anywhere from one to six at a time and the admiral likes to ride the bow when under way. I am going to be doing a little more research and look more into bennit.

as far as wieght maybe a cooler and towels. that is about all most times
when i had the engine out and drive out i took the boat to the volvo dealor and had the transon checked for water and rot and came back ok.

i know the stringers are good and only had a very little surface rot starting on the floor witch i repaired before replacing the carpet

you are right i only want to do this once as far as holes are concerned.

dreamseeker

How adding drag to a boat can save you up to 11% fuel usage baffles me. A few years ago there were fins that were added to the lower unit that were supposed to help you plane off. I still see some once in awhile.

I have seen those fins but they bother me. I tend to think they would cause a great deal of stress on the drive. Since mine does not have a trim option i feel tabs would be an improvement.

the 270 has to be all the way down. I can raise it in shallow water but only while at idle

waybomb

I'd rather be blown

Boat dynamics are interesting. The Carver probably weiged 30,000 pounds with people, fuel and all the junk on it. You could watch the Floscan numbers increase as the tabs were lowered to about 13 degrees. The tabs presented drag, but also lifted the back out of the water and pushed the bow down, getting it into a more efficient running condition. The boat had 330 hp gas engines. It was way underpowered. My intent was to drop two 500 hp cats in, but that got too expensive. Later 4207 Carvers with teh big cats or cummins would jump on plane and cruise at about 23 mph. My pig could could only get up to about 15-17 mph with the gas engines.

Then I bought PV. It cruises at 55 - 70! I use the tbs only to pop it up on plane sooner. I run 3 blade cleavers, so getting out of the hole is challenging, but once I pop it up, I get the tabs to zero and get moving. If I used 4 or 5 blade props, I probably would not need tabs at all, but I'd loose top end speed.

Last edited: