Autopilot on twin I/O? Trolling each engine alone.

landingzone

Hi Folks,
I'm new to this forum and likely this has been addressed before. I am an avid trout & salmon fisherman on Lake Ontario. Trolling at slow speeds for hours at a time is the normal operation. I am considering upgrading from my current single engine 24' I/O to a larger (27') boat with twin 350's with Mercruiser outdrives. Only one of the engines has power steering and the boat is equipped with a Raymarine Sportpilot autopilot. The current owner always trolls with the engine with power steering. What kind of modifications can be made to allow use of either engine individually? Could power steering be added to the other engine as well? How would they work together when being operated together?
Thanks for any insight.

Doc

Liquid Addiction
Staff member
Welcome to Net Boat Talk Landingzone. :thumb: it's getting to be that time of year again isn't it. :D I'm sure ready for some boating.

Sorry I can't answer your question but I trust someone will be along shortly who can.
Good luck.
Pics of your boat and your catch are always appreciated. :thumb: :D

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
I am not sure on outboards what control the outboard. If the outboard is cable steered, Shouldn't be a problem. Why not tie both engines together so you can steer with the steering wheel? Start up the one you want to use and have at it.

The APs that I am used to working with tap in to the hydraulic steering system.

waybomb

I'd rather be blown
Oh, now I get it. Why not install a second pump on the non-pumped engine? I don not know what's involved.

That way you only need one AP unit for all functions.

Or, install hydraulic steering, which isn't all that hard to do, and use a hydraulic AP unit?